Black eyes are unsightly. Sadly, everybody is going to suffer from one at some point. All it takes is a slight knock to the area around the eye and you are going to be looking at some severe bruising. Thankfully, most black eyes do not need to be treated. The only time you will need to visit a doctor and seek treatment is if you are dealing with one of the following:
- There is blood in the eye. It will be in the white or the colored part of the eye. This is incredibly dangerous and you will need to seek help immediately.
- If you are suffering from vision problems. This includes double vision or blurring.
- There is severe pain around the eye.
- You are also bleeding from the nose.
There is no sense wasting your time and going to the doctor if there is just a bit of light bruising around the eye. They will not be able to do anything for you. Thankfully, you can treat the injury at home! Let’s take a look at how to get rid of a black eye, shall we?
The first thing you will want to do is apply a cold compress to the eye. Do this as soon as possible after it has been injured.
Try to ensure that the compress is not too cold as this will cause an extreme amount of pain. Your best option is to fill up a cloth with some ice. You can then apply this to the area.
You should do the following:
- Apply the cold compress to the bruising
- Press lightly down on the eye
- Make sure that you are not pressing on the eye itself. This can cause pain.
- Repeat this process several times per day. The bruising should start to disappear after 2-3 days.
When the swelling starts to go down, you can apply a warm compress to the area. Most people do this after a couple of days. The same rules as before apply. This means that you should not put too much pressure on the eye. Of course, you will also want to ensure that the warm compress is not too hot otherwise this will cause you severe burns. Obviously, the last thing you want to be dealing with will be severe burns!
Dealing with the pain
When it comes to how to get rid of a black eye, it is unlikely that you will be dealing with so much pain that you are going to be clambering to get rid of it. If you do have pain because of your black eye, any OTC painkiller should be more than sufficient to help you deal with it. If the pain is unbearable then you can head to your doctor and they will be able to prescribe you something a bit stronger.
If you do follow these tips on how to get rid of a black eye, it will disappear in next-to-no time at all!